Department of Biotechnology
Availability of Biotechnological studies and research to improve the living conditions of mankind and the environment.
Education and training opportunities for students such that they get mastery in biotechnological skills.
History of Biotechnology
The following are the activities conducted by and participated in by the Department:
- On-job-training programme: Students undertake one month training during vacations at pathological laboratories, pharmaceuticals or research institutes.
- Industrial visit: Brewery, food processing units and effluent treatment plant.
- Field trip: ICAR-CCARI -Old Goa, CSIR-NIO- Dona Paula, Environmental walk.
- Study Tour and training workshop at ‘BioEra Life Science Research Facility, Pune.
- Department newsletter: ‘Sequence –unravel yourself’.
- Talk by Guest speakers/Specialist in the field of Biotechnology.
- Winners at ‘Chiasma 7.0’- an intercollegiate event organised by Dhempe College of Arts & Science, Miramar.
Career opportunities in Biotechnology exist in the areas of molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, drug discovery, immunology, clinical research, plant and animal biotechnology. Potential careers opportunities include:
- Project Assistants/Junior Research fellows after an M.Sc.
- QA/QC departments in pharmaceutical companies, food processing units, breweries and distilleries.
- Self-employment through entrepreneurship.
- Medical lab technologists in laboratories and hospitals.
- Research assistants in R and D of pharmaceuticals after an M.Sc.
- Lecturers in Colleges and Universities after an M.Sc/Ph.D.
- In Plant Tissue Culture and Animal Tissue Culture labs and industries.